When I launched The Heart & Huset in 2021, Fika Friday was one of the hallmarks of the online membership community. Initially planned as a montly gathering, it became a cherished event for the founding members, and I increased it to weekly. Fika Friday has been a weekly event ever since, with friendships forming between members from around the country. Food is a part of The Heart & Huset too, and back in the day, this Swedish Mazarin Torte with Raspberries was our first “Fika Friday Recipe of the Month.”
This version of the classic Swedish Mazarintårta combines a shortbread-style almond crust with a luscious almond filling and a layer of raspberry jam. There’s something about the combination of almond, butter, and raspberry that tastes as good as it gets. Somewhere along the line, this recipe has roots in a couple of sources, including Beatrice Ojakangas’ The Great Scandinavian Baking Book, which is–as its title boasts–a great book, and Nika Standen Hazelton’s The Art of Scandinavian Cooking. Do be sure to serve this with fresh raspberries—they provide a fresh contrast to the delectably rich torte. Can be made a day or two in advance.
The Heart & Huset is an online membership community that helps people take a deep dive into Scandinavian culture and traditions. Featuring recipe collections, a Scandi book club, special guest appearances, and more, it’s also a place to meet other like-minded individuals. It’s designed to help you live your best Scandi-style life, no matter your roots or where you call home. The Heart & Huset opens to new members only a few times a year. If you’d like to be notified when enrollment is opening, sign up for A Place at the Table, my FREE weekly Scandinavian Living newslettter, and you’ll be the first to hear about it.
Swedish Mazarin Torte with Raspberries (A Fika Friday Recipe)
- 3/4 cup butter softened*
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fresh raspberries for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the crust, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour, salt, and almond meal and mix until stiff. Press the dough into a 10- or 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, using your hands to create an even layer across the bottom and up the sides. Spread 1/2 cup of the raspberry jam over the bottom. Set aside while you make the filling.
- To make the filling, beat the eggs and sugar until light, then beat in the butter, almond meal, and vanilla and almond extracts. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden and slightly firm to the touch. (It will continue to set while it cools.) Slide the pan onto a rack and allow to cool fully.
- Once the torte is cool, spread the remaining raspberry jam over the top and remove the torte from the pan.
- Make the icing by whisking in in the water until smooth, adding a few more drops if needed to get the desired consistency. Spread over the top of the torte, and garnish with fresh raspberries.
If you enjoy this Swedish Mazarin Torte, find even more sweet and savory treats in my cookbook Modern Scandinavian Baking!
(Disclosure: Posts on this site may include Affiliate Links; click here to learn more.)